Monday, February 9, 2009

Cooking simply for the common good

My dad used to claim that all he needed to cook was a sharp knife, a fork and a spoon. Growing up during the Depression, electricity was still pretty new outside of cities and not all that dependable. About the only time I've had to limit my dependence on the food processor and mixer is when I've gone camping. Yet when I read about people unplugging their refrigerators to lower their carbon footprint, I start to think of other little, and certainly less drastic, ways to do the same.

Another way to use resources wisely is to use every part of the animal that is slaughtered, not just the nice steaks or chicken breasts that come wrapped in plastic in the grocery store. I'll talk more about that in the future.

What's good for the environment often seems to come at great expense. In the days and months to come, I'll show you how to go green, save money and live well, too. Together, we can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment