Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Fruit pigs out

Pork and fruit are a natural pairing, and I've enjoyed many such pairings: ham and pineapple, pork roast with prunes, pork loin stuffed with apricots and my grandmother's favorite, pork chops and applesauce. But until I was looking for a way to use up some grapes that had gotten shoved to the back of the fruit bin, I had never thought of using fresh grapes with pork. I simmered them whole, since the recipe didn't specify that anything needed to be done with them, but for company, I think I would halve the grapes. The original recipe is from a book called "Fruit" (I was actually looking for a dessert that would use the grapes), but I cut out the step of serving the tenderloin on toasted brioche.

Pork tenderloin with grapes
Serves 4

1 pork tenderloin, about 1 pound
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup chicken stock
2 cups grapes, cut in half

Cut the tenderloin in 1/2-inch slices and season with salt and pepper. Lightly flatten each medallion with a mallet. Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium high heat and cook the medallions for 3 minutes each side. Turn the heat to medium, remove the medallions to a heat-proof platter and  keep warm.
Deglaze the skillet with the wine and stock, then add the grapes and cook until they soften, 3-5 minutes. Pour the fruit and sauce over the meat and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment