Saturday, April 4, 2009

Cville City Market opening day

There wasn't that much produce to buy yet at the market, but I did buy greens that I hadn't ever come across in California - creasy greens. They are a kind of mild winter cress with about the same degree of bite as baby arugula. And like purslane, they grow like a weed here. I'm told they become like spinach when cooked.
Euell Gibbons, in his book "Stalking the Healthful Herbs," says that 100 grams of winter cress contain an impressive 5,067 I.U. of vitamin A and 152 milligrams of vitamin C. By comparison, oranges, known as a good source of vitamin C, provide a comparatively measly 50 milligrams of C per 100 grams.

The two photos, the creasy greens, above, and
the plants to the right below, were taken by me.

You can see the creasy greens also
 in the slideshow below, in a wooden crate.
The slideshow photos were taken by Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment