Monday, July 13, 2009

Monday tips

I said I'd post the best tips from my Shrine Mont seminar, but it lasted an hour and I couldn't tell which were the best. So I'm going to list a few each Monday for the next few weeks. And I'd love to hear yours. If you don't want to leave a comment on the posts, just e-mail me at lori.korleski.richardson@gmail.com and I'll share them, too.

  • Instead of the water your recipe calls for, try juices, bouillon, or water you've cooked vegetables in. Instead of milk, try buttermilk or yogurt. It can add a whole new flavor and improve nutrition.
  • Get into the habit of measuring the oil you use while you cook, rather than just pouring it out of the bottle. It will be easier to moderate the amount you use. Or use an oil mister.
  • When sautéing, use a small amount of chicken broth or wine instead of butter or oil, especially if you don’t care if it browns. Don’t add too much liquid at a time, or you will boil the food instead of sautéing.
  • To make fat-free broth, chill your meat or chicken broth. The fat will rise to the top, and you can remove it before using the broth.
  • In cooked spaghetti sauces and salsas, carrots do a more effective and nutritious job of sweetening than sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment