Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Nanner, nanner, banana bread

My mother loved to make banana bread and I loved to eat it. She preferred pecans. but I loved walnuts in it. 

Yet, once the doc told me that I was prediabetic and would need to ease up on the sweets, I knew my days of enjoying this treat would come to an end if I didn't make some changes. Here's my compromise. 

I halved the amount of butter and sugar, and doubled the number of bananas. It worked! 

Lori's Banana Bread 

Ingredients 
1/4 cup butter 
1/4 cup sugar 
2 eggs 
6 bananas (thawed if frozen; mashed if fresh) 
1/3 cup milk, mixed with 1 tablespoon vinegar 
2 cups flour 
1 teaspoon salt 
2 teaspoons baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
1 cup walnuts (or pecans, or other nuts) 

Instructions 
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer. Add the eggs and bananas while the mixer is going, one at a time until blended, then the milk. 

Remove 2 tablespoons of the flour and mix with the nuts until they are well coated. 

Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together; add slowly to the mixture while the mixer is still going until all is blended. 

Turn off the mixer and fold in the nuts. Pour into a well-oiled loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Turn out on a cooling rack. Serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment