Friday, February 27, 2009

Tortilla chips, hold the oil

I love Mexican food. I love going out to a Mexican restaurant and being presented with a big basket of piping hot chips. I love their crunchy mouthfeel, their salty corn taste. The one thing I don't like is the calories, 138 per ounce.

When I'm at home, I cut the calories way down by baking my chips. (One corn tortilla has 58 calories, 61 per ounce). No, I don't spritz them with the oil mister. I simply douse the tortillas with water, break them into eighths, sprinkle them lightly with kosher salt, then put them on a cookie sheet and stick them
in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes, or until they are a light golden brown. I then turn off the oven and let them sit there for at least 15 minutes until they are very crispy and no longer stick to the cookie sheet.

They hold up well for dipping into bean dip and salsa, but don't use them for any dish where they need to be in liquid for long, because they will dissolve.

Top photo: The raw tortillas, torn into eighths
Bottom: Ready for the salsa

Photos © Lori Korleski Richardson

No comments:

Post a Comment