Thursday, April 2, 2009

Lettuce examine the roots

When I first saw "living lettuce" in the stores, I doubted it was worth the extra cost. But three weeks ago, when I had a hankering for butter lettuce to eat with my tuna salad for lunch, I bought one of them in a clamshell and added a little water for its roots when I got home. Well, there is still a bit of it in the fridge and it's still just as fresh as when I bought it.

And I was even more impressed with it after viewing the video below. Most lettuce is more economical to buy by the traditional head, and since we have salad at almost every meal, there isn't usually the problem of any of it going to waste. But for specialty lettuces, I'm not going to feel too bad about spending a little extra for one with roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment