Friday, May 15, 2009

Kale that crunches

I didn't join a CSA (community supported agriculture) co-op this year; getting moved into our new house was enough excitement for one spring. But I know that most of them feature kale during the cooler months. Kale isn't high on many people's list, but as with most vegetables, it takes a little experimentation to figure out exactly the recipe that you like the best. For me, I've enjoyed it most when it is cut into ribbons, then sauteed quickly in olive oil and garlic. But here's a recipe I came across today and I think this may elevate kale to "favored vegetable status."

Jacques Pepin's crispy kale

Take a big bowl of kale greens, removed from the stems, broken up into smallish pieces. Toss with a tablespoon of oil and a good sprinkle of salt, and other spices if you'd like. Crisp up on a baking rack set over a sheet pan at 250 degrees for about 25 minutes. Toss about halfway through. The kale will darken in color and diminish in volume dramatically.

Result is a crispy crunchy snack that makes it easy to get your kale.

1 comment:

  1. If I have one layer and put it on a rack over a pan, it takes 25 minutes. Otherwise, I flip it, drain the moisture from the pan and cook until it crisps, which usually takes another 25 minutes. If I have the flat kale, I just trim out the middle ribs and don't bother to tear it apart.

    ReplyDelete