Tips (Week 2)
- When cooking a dish with both vegetables and meat (i.e. in stir frys and stews), reduce the amount of meat by 1/3 and increase the amount of vegetables by 1/3 for better nutrition.
- Use olive oil for cooking when you can.
- A low-calorie solution for high-fat frying of corn tortillas is moisten the triangles with water, put on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with kosher salt and bake at 350 F to desired crispness. When they are crisp, they will come off the pan easily. If they are sticking, keep them in the oven a little longer.
- Be aware that bacteria on food will rapidly multiply when left at temperature between 45 F and 140 F. Wash your hands thoroughly and often.
- Try using a hand blender to puree the soup... it's easier than transferring to food processor.
- To slice meat into thin strips, partially freeze and it will slice easily.