But what to do with the rest of that can of tahini? It's made of sesame seeds, and as we know, sesame seeds go rancid in record time.
Fear not the tahini. With a little forethought, it can be swirled into many other uses besides hummus and baba ghanoush. Here are some ways to use tahini:
- Whisk it with lemon juice until slightly thinned for an excellent sauce for fish.
- Thin it with some more lemon juice and water, add a little salt for a low-fat salad dressing.
- Cook it with sugar to make halva, a Middle Eastern treat.
- Process with garlic, basil and Parmesan for a pesto; thin with a little pasta water before tossing it with your noodles.
- Add a little to any recipe that could use a nutty note.