Monday, March 2, 2009

Steers on steriods sends Roquefort to the moon

OK, since I realize that even those who regularly read the New York Times may have glanced at the headline ("Simpler, Cheaper Test For Illegal Steroids In European Cattle") and skipped reading the story ("What do European cattle have to do with me or what I eat"), I'd like to point out this little bit of parenthetical information:
Steroids are not illegal in the United States and are used extensively by beef producers.
If we don't think steroids good for athletes (they're not; I think I read a heart-wrenching story at least every month about some young man cut down in the prime of his life from overusing the stuff), why do we allow them to be used in our food?

And late last week, I heard on National Public Radio that since the European Union won't buy our drug-laden beef, the price of Roquefort cheese will be skyrocketing in the United States.

(Click on the colored words to be taken to the New York Times story and the NPR story and audio.)

No comments:

Post a Comment