Thursday, December 10, 2009

Broccoli mash is a smash

One of the most excellent by-products of the low-carb diets' popularity was the many substitutes that people came up with to replace the traditional sides of potatoes or rice. Mary Menz introduced me to this one in Sacramento, and it's called a mash. It really couldn't be easier. This mash is made with broccoli, but if you want something that looks more like mashed potatoes, use cauliflower. I am not wild about broccoli, but I like it this way.

Broccoli mash

Serves 4

Ingredients
1 pound broccoli, separated into florets
4 ounces cheddar cheese
1/4 cup of milk

Instructions
Steam broccoli in a bowl in the microwave for 2 or 3 minutes. It should be still be bright green, not over done.
Crumble the cheese into a food processor and add the hot broccoli. Process, adding milk as need until it is thick and fairly smooth. Serve immediately, or can be reheated in the microwave for a minute just before serving.

4 comments:

  1. I've been doing this with cauliflower for a while now, although I add some sour cream and use asiago instead of cheddar. As a matter of fact, we're having it for dinner tonight! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds super! Any spice that you use? I had a delicious cauliflower puree once that used nutmeg or something similar to give it an added zing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I have to try this. I eat broccoli pretty much every day because I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to click on your blog, because I am a Lori K as well :D

    ReplyDelete